Application for Certificate of Eligibility (Japan)

5 days ago, I made it to my CFO appointment which in a way dwindled my apprehension. I was a bit worried about hitting upon an unpleasant situation, but thank goodness I did it! Hooray! 😀 I still have to get back to them to get my certificate and sticker, though. No problemo! 😀

On to the next agendum..

         Moving to Japan 

Just like any other procedures, entering Japan isn’t that a piece of cake. One must follow the strictly implemented procedure in order to get to your goal. Be it becoming a tourist, a long term resident, or a permanent resident. Since my husband is a foreigner residing in Japan, our earnest intent is to spend the rest of our lives and live a different life in a foreign land together. And I am so grateful to him for doing everything he can to take me with him despite his hectic work schedule. 🙂 Prior to my CFO appointment, he already applied for the Certificate of Eligibility from the regional immigration office in Saitama, Japan with the help of his tried-and-true attorney. We’ve been thrilled to latch on to it for about a month now. 🙂 🙂

Applying for this certificate isn’t found on the Embassy of Japan’s (in the Philippines) website on the grounds of restriction, perhaps. That’s what I thought after a number of attempts to catch on how to apply for one from the site. I didn’t give up, rather adamantly searched for reliable Japanese immigration sites. Eureka! 🙂

Here’s what I’ve picked up…


♦ Applicant

           Foreign nationals wishing to enter Japan (except for visiting Japan for Temporary Visitor)

♦ Necessary documents

  • Application form 1 copy
  • Photo (4cm×3cm) 1 copy
    • * A photo that shows the applicant pictured alone.
    • * The applicant should face squarely to the front and should remove any hats, caps or head coverings.
    • * There should be a plain background with no shadows.
    • * The photo must be sharp and clear.
    • * The photo must have been taken within three months prior to submission.
  • A return-mail envelope affixed with stamp(s) worth 392 yen (for the recorded delivery purpose)
  • The supporting documents to be submitted on the occasion of application are shown in Table 3 (below)1 copy
    (As applicant sometimes needs to submit document material(s) other than stipulated in the Immigration Control Act Enforcement Regulations, please refer to your regional immigration office or immigration information center.)
  • A document that proves the status (if a legal representative or agent submits the application form on behalf of the applicant)
  • In principle, documents and materials which have been submitted will not be returned to you. If you have submitted any original copies of documents and materials, which would be difficult for you to re-obtain, and would like to have them returned to you, please notify us when you file your application.

Table 3 (Supporting Documents)

               Spouse of Long Term Resident

  1. A copy of the family registration, the marriage certificate, the birth certificate and other documents certifying the status of the foreign national concerned.
  2. Documents certifying that the person concerned can defray all the expenses incurred during the stay in Japan. In cases where the expenses incurred during the stay in Japan is defrayed by another person, documents certifying the income of the person who intends to defray all the expenses.
  3. A letter of guarantee by the person living in Japan.
              Spouse of Permanent Resident
  1. Documents certifying the personal relationship between the person concerned and the permanent resident concerned.
  2. Copies of the registration certificate or the passport of the permanent resident concerned.
  3. Documents certifying the profession and the income of the foreign national concerned or his or her spouse.
  4. A letter of guarantee by the permanent resident concerned.

♦ Where to submit

The regional immigration office in charge of applicant’s intended address or the location of organization that accepts the applicant (Refer to your regional immigration office or immigration information center.)

♦ Standard procedures duration

A month to three months

♦ Fee

Free of charge

Author: The Pinay Ajumma

1990 | Socially awkward | Chocolate addict

15 thoughts

Feel free to share your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.