LAST UPDATED: December 2020
For Korean Filipino couples who are planning to tie the knot, this is the first thing that you need to do. Be informed that the Philippine government requires all foreigners who wish to marry Filipino citizens to get a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage from their respective embassies. This is to prove that the foreigner is certified single or legally divorced. For Korean-Filipino couples, you can get it from the Korean embassy.
Address: 122 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Town Center, Fort Bonifacio, Taguig city 1634, Philippines
Tel : (63-2) 856-9210
An interview is needed upon getting the certificate. UPDATE: Marriage interview is now unnecessary. It’s optional. If you want to acquire information on marriage process and spouse visa, you may apply for the interview on Tuesdays and Thursdays (same requirements as applying for the Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage).
- Application of marriage interview is 8:30~11:00 AM
- Both Korean and Filipino should be present during application and interview
- Interview will start at 2:30 PM. The couple should be present by 2:00 PM
UPDATE: You can now get this certificate at the Consulate of the Republic of Korea located in Cebu.
Address: 12th Floor Chinabank Corporate Center, Lot 2, Samar Loop Cor. Road 5, Cebu Business Park, Mabolo, Cebu City
Tel : +63-32-231-1516(-9)
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 08:30-17:00
- Korean should be present during application.
- Application is from 9AM to 11AM (Monday, Wednesday and Friday only) at the authentication window.
- Release is at 2PM-4PM at the authentication window.
Below are the requirements for Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage:
□ Application for Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage (Embassy Format)
□ Passport Original
□ 1 copy of passport bio-page
□ 1 Korean Marriage History (issued within 3 months)
□ PSA Cenomar Certificate original (issued within 3 months)
□ 1 copy of NSO Birth Certificate
□ 1 copy of valid ID with Birth Date
□ PSA Cenomar Certificate original
- The couple should be present during application.
- Payment is 100 PHP.
- Application is from 9AM to 12AM at the authentication window.
- Release is at 3:30PM at the authentication window.
Dohyoung and I had to get the certificate from the Korean embassy in Manila. He flew from Japan and me from Cebu. It was on the 26th of October 2015. We got to the location before 9AM. What we did as soon as we arrived there were the following:
- We filled out four different forms after writing my name and purpose in their logbook. (Don’t forget to bring a black pen. If you aren’t quite sure of how to fill them out, don’t hesitate to ask the officers around there. Be warned that they are a little bit harsh in a good way, perhaps it’s part of their job.)
- Arranged our documents according to how they are listed and submitted them to the assigned officer for checking. We were immediately asked to provide a photocopy of my CENOMAR. This wasn’t mentioned in the list. After that, we were given our number. Fortunately, we were 38 which didn’t take long for our number to be called at Window 1.
- Dohyoung was the one who faced the Korean lady at Window 1. She took the documents, gave us back my original CENOMAR and instructed us to come back at 2:30PM for the interview.
The interview started before 3PM. All Korean men were called to get inside Interview Room 2 leaving all their belongings to us, Filipino fiancees. Their session lasted for about an hour and a half. Our turn right after that.
The room was just enough for like 10 people and it was air-conditioned. The panel interview was headed by the Korean consul. He was gentle but a little bit frank. Spoke good English. It was good hearing his advice for all of us. Mainly to enlighten us about our plan of marrying a Korean guy. He was like a father to us. He then asked random questions for each of us. I got mixed emotions listening to the other fiancees’ answers. The session was ended with good wishes.
We were then instructed to pay 90 pesos at Window 3 for the certificate. It should look like this:
We were so happy upon getting this very important paper. You will understand why when it’s your turn to do this. God bless you all lovebirds!
**Beware of agents around there asking you to work with them for a fast marriage procedure. Stick to your plans and might as well follow the Philippine rules. Don’t end up having fake marriage documents for a big amount of money.**
Stay updated! Not a WordPress user? Just subscribe via email. Your email address will not be published.